Current:Home > NewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -PureWealth Academy
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:04:52
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7216)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Bachelor Nation's Becca Kufrin and Thomas Jacobs Share Baby Boy's Name and First Photo
- Temple University chancellor to take over leadership amid search for new president
- Australian scientists discover rare spider fossil that could be up to 16 million years old
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- College football bowl projections: Playoff field starts to take shape after Week 4
- Police are investigating if unprescribed drugs factored into death of ex-NFL player Mike Williams
- Canadian fashion mogul lured women and girls to bedroom suite at his Toronto HQ, prosecution alleges
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- When does 'The Kardashians' come back? Season 4 premiere date, schedule, how to watch
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Erdogan says Menendez resignation from Senate committee boosts Turkey’s bid to acquire F-16s
- Musk’s X is the biggest purveyor of disinformation, EU official says
- September harvest moon: Thursday's full moon will be final supermoon of 2023
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Missouri’s GOP attorney general sues school for closed-door debate on transgender bathroom use
- GOP lawmakers in Kentucky propose three-strikes law as anti-crime measure for 2024 session
- Nigeria’s government worker unions announce third strike in two months
Recommendation
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
RHOSLC's Monica Garcia Claps Back at Lisa Barlow's $60,000 Ring Dig
Texas law that restricted drag shows declared unconstitutional
Police fatally shoot man in Indianapolis after pursuit as part of operation to get guns off streets
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Rachel Bilson Reveals Embarrassing Flirting Attempt With Justin Timberlake
'They can't buy into that American Dream': How younger workers are redefining success
Millions of Americans will lose food assistance if the government shuts down